Monday, January 9, 2012

Slaves in Bondage (1937)

It seems a manicurist shop is a front for a prostitution ring. You see, they lure innocent young hotties into the big bad city with promises of cushy jobs and then coerce them into being ... Slaves in Bondage! The good news is that a young hottie and her 40 year old cub reporter fiancee are hot on the case. Or bad news, depending on your perspective.

In typical exploitation fashion, it pretends to be a cautionary tale when in actuality they are dangling the luscious behavior for the viewing audience to salivate over. I watched this, my first from the Internet Movie Archive via the Roku, because I thought it was a pre-code gem. I mean, look at the poster! Adults Only! Let me tell you, I saw a lot of scantily clad knee caps. I'll have you know that '37 was well into the Hays era, and it showed.

Anyhow, here are the weird parts. The girls are "coerced" to work in a very high class bordello. None of them, except the one who escapes at the very beginning to introduce the story, seem all that disappointed with their lot in life. Well, I finished the movie and it wasn't too bad, but it really fell flat. The acting was mediocre at best, the story flat, and the sex appeal almost nonexistent. Watch it here if you must. AMRU 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment