Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Born to Kill (1947)

A floozy wants to get her tough underworld-type boyfriend (Lawrence Tierney) jealous, so she goes out with a young sap. He responds by killing them. The bodies are found by a woman (Claire Trevor) who considers calling the police, but has a train to catch. So does the murderer, who takes a fancy to her.

Truth be told, I selected this film because I saw Lawrence Tierney’s name and mistook it for Gene. I’m glad I did. Lawrence was an interesting chap. Violent and hot-headed in real life, he was perfectly cast as the violent and hot-headed Sam. His career is pockmarked with confrontations and bar fights. It’s a wonder his career lasted as long as it did, not to mention his life.

Gritty and pessimistic, this is not the kind of film I expect from Robert Wise. No doubt a talented director, but even his horror films tend to exhibit a certain optimism. Elisha Cook Jr. is great as usual as Sam’s buddy, and I must blurb on Walter Slezak sometime, but today my attention is drawn to Claire Trevor. We’ve crossed paths a few times but I’ve never taken the time to notice her. Here she is the object of desire but a year later she gets slapped around in Key Largo. Eight years prior she was a hooker with a heart of gold in Stagecoach. She was fantastic here and I must pay her closer attention in the future.

Born to Kill may be a non-traditional noir, but make no mistake, noir it is. And I thoroughly enjoyed every scene, never knowing precisely where the story leads. I could quibble with a few story elements, but noir tends to have an element of fantastic realism. It was a fun watch. AMRU 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment