Saturday, May 23, 2009

Desk Set (1957)

A "Desk Set", apparently, is what computer systems were called back in the 1950's. Spencer Tracy is Richard Sumner, an efficiency expert. Katharine Hepburn is Bunny Watson, a reference librarian for a TV network. He is working to get the computer system installed and configured without the librarians finding out, she is convinced she and her staff are being replaced by new technology. Joan Blondell is an assistant. 

Tracy behaves strangely while we learn of Katharine's romance with at TV exec. Does she marry him or take a chance with the aged and cantankerous Tracy? I'll never tell. Like there might be a Tracy/Hepburn movie where they aren't romantically linked. 

I was interested in this film because I'm a computer tech. Not so much after I saw it. Maybe I'm just not a Tracy/Hepburn fan. Maybe I found Hepburn at 50 not terribly believable in the role. Still, it's a fair movie. Here's my IMDb factoid: the screenplay was written by Phoebe and Henry Ephron, parents of Nora Ephron. That's the best I could come up with. 

I like these two actors, but I haven't found a film that works for me. I'll try another, maybe Woman of the Year. AMRU 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment