Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Terror by Night (1946)

A young man hires Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) to protect The Star of Rhodesia, a huge and valuable diamond, as his mother travels with it to Scotland. There is a murder, the rock is stolen, and Holmes solves the case.

I Initially watched this on Amazon Prime and found the audio and video quality to be quite poor. Five minutes also appeared to be missing. I rewatched it on Kanopy and there it was complete and the quality was significantly improved. I must remember this going forward.

Just about all of the film is set on a train, from the introduction of the case to the apprehension of the culprit. After the first murder, the action is further contained to a single car. Each compartment contains suspicious characters for our heroes (and inspector Lastrade of Scotland Yard) to question.

It has been two years since my last Sherlock film and it was high time I took steps towards finishing them. A focused setting, short run time, and interesting mystery makes Terror by Night one of the better in the series. Even on second viewing I found it fun to watch. AMRU 4, you know, because I rewatched it. Two more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment