Tuesday, May 16, 2023

The Count of Monte Cristo (1934)

Edmond Dantes (Robert Donat) is framed for conspiring against the King and imprisoned for twenty years. With the help of another prisoner, he tunnels to freedom, finds buried treasure, and plots his revenge.

At first glance I didn’t recognize any credited names, not even the studio (Reliance Pictures). But on closer inspection I realized that Donat was the lead in The 39 Steps. Also principal villain Louis Calhern’s name should have been more familiar to me, having appeared in some big films, everything from Notorious to Duck Soup. He was once married to Lovey Howell.

Nineteenth century pulp adventure stories aren’t exactly my thing but I wasn’t completely unfamiliar with the story. I had difficulty at first keeping the characters straight, but soon the story focused on the few that matter. While not compelling, the story was interesting enough and well paced. Some of the scenes, particularly the underwater and ocean voyage scenes, were impressive considering the era. I am a little surprised the Academy didn’t nominate it for anything. AMRU 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment