Friday, July 5, 2024

What Else I Watched, 2024Q2

A Hazard of Hearts (1987)
A landed gentleman (Christopher Plumber) loses all his money at dice, so he risks his family estate. He then loses the family estate in a game of dice, so he risks his daughter (a very young Helena Bonham Carter). Guess what. While our gambling hero goes and pops a cap, the new owner loses all of this to a Mr. Darcy-type character. Oh, and something about smugglers and what-not.

This made for TV adaptation of a trashy period romance novel just reeks of it. Story and dialog were occasionally terrible. But somehow they managed to get Plumber, Diana Rigg, and Stewart Granger involved. Mostly watchable despite itself. AMRU 2.5.

Anthropoid (2016)
Real live story about the plot to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich during WWII. Cillian Murphy plays a complicated world war hero. Mostly historically accurate, very slow burn, and pretty grim particularly towards the end. It was quite good, but I can’t imagine wanting to go through that again. AMRU 3.5.

A Fish called Wanda (1988)
I watched this on VHS back in 1989 and didn’t like it. My opinion may have been colored by the people I was with and the relationship I was in. It wasn't a great time for me. But over the years I have been routinely reminded that my opinion was wrong. So, thirty five years later I gave it another try. I didn’t like it.

I did find it interesting. Never laughed, but I’d seen all the gags. Perhaps again colored by memories, but it’s a pretty mean spirited comedy. AMRU 3.

12 Angry Men (1957)
Twelve jurors decide the fate of a young man accused of murdering his father. Guilty or innocent, they are instructed that the decision must be unanimous. Eleven jurors are convinced of his guild, but one wants to discuss it.

Number 5 on the IMDb top 250 movies, and the only film released prior to 1966 in the top 20, 12 Angry Men is imminently watchable and rewatchable. I rated it 8 out of 10 when on first viewing eight years ago but changed that score to 9/10. And if you know how I gravitate to the middle on my ratings, that is no faint praise. 12 Angry Men is a must see.

Not much this quarter, only four films here and nine on the main list. Life had gotten in the way of my movie watching, but things should swing towards the middle in Q3. I have four films in the queue to post, and maybe I'll watch another tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment