Monday, March 8, 2021

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

Genevieve and Guy (Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo) are young lovers wanting to be married. Unfortunately, life gets in the way. The TCM description included a second act spoiler, but I won’t go any further. Other films deserve to be spoiled, but not this one.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg is referred to as a “sung-through” musical, meaning 100% of the dialog is sung. Not like a song, just sung. Quite frankly this irritated me a bit early on. It’s not an efficient way to tell a story. Plus reading subtitles draws your eye from the visual side of the story, which is a shame. Cherbourg looks terrific.

I needed to watch something different. Too many generic old-Hollywood comedies and lower-tier genre pictures, I was in a rut. I think I’ve been too focused on checking boxes rather than watching films I would actually enjoy. I immediately turned to foreign film, of which I have a few at my disposal. To this day I haven’t seen a Sophia Loren film (for the blog, that is), something I must rectify. TCM doesn’t run her films very often, but that’s no excuse. Catherine Deneuve is also underrepresented and I heard good things about Umbrellas, so there it is.

And the nineteen year old Deneuve was fantastic. A very mature and convincing performance. Those expecting to be overwhelmed by her charm and beauty may be disappointed. Be prepared for serious acting. As serious as it gets in a musical, that is. If only TCM would play Belle de Jour.

Umbrellas is a film about young lovers being separated, growing up, making choices, and what comes of it all. It’s a rather touching film. If you are turned off by all of the dialog being sung, well, get over it. The movie deserves a little effort. The story isn’t complicated but it bears rewatching. Once familiar with the story, and a few French phrases, the watcher can concentrate on the cinematography and mise-en-scene, which are spectacular. I will rewatch it, if I can find someone to watch it with me. AMRU 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment