Saturday, January 21, 2012

Goldfinger (1964)

Bond (Sean Connery) is sent to investigate Auric Goldfinger (Gert Frobe) who is suspected of smuggling gold. After Bond is captured by Oddjob, he convinces Goldfinger to keep him alive so he can bed more of Goldfinger's helper women. Bond proceeds to uncover a plot against Fort Knox, named appropriately after a Denny's breakfast. Does the gold-obsessed fat boy intend on stealing it all?

I got this in just under the wire. It seems that too many of my viewing choices are determined by netflix decisions to remove titles. This also goes for my next two. Which leads to another problem. I watched Goldfinger almost two weeks ago and let's face it, Bond films blend in together. I have to go reading online to remember which one is which. Anyhow, during one of these movies, Thunderball I think, I paused to film to inform my fifteen year old son and his friend that this is not how you treat women. This is what is termed 'assault'.

Anyhow, this is the film that has hottie Shirley Eaton die from skin suffocation (not possible), a giant Korean who chops off heads with his hat, and a decidedly middle aged bond girl in Honor Blackman, who is actually older than Connery. Blackman quit her cushy job on TV's The Avengers to be in the movie and used it to launch herself into a series of movies that I've never heard of. Honor's character on The Avengers was replaced by the more appealing Diana Rigg.

But seriously, Pussy Galore? Was Ian Fleming a 12 year old? Did he actually use the line "You're a woman of many parts, Pussy"? Unbelievable.

Turns out I had seen this before. Maybe ten years ago, maybe thirty. Still, classic Bond that delivers what you expect. Booty count of four, AMRU of 3.
James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Auric Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment