Saturday, March 28, 2020

Gun Crazy (1950)

Ever since he was little, Bart was obsessed with guns. He just loved shooting things. Not living things, he’s no monster. Just things, and he’s pretty good at it. Returning home from the Army he visits a carnival with his buddies and sees a sharpshooter act featuring a hot woman. He becomes as obsessed with Laurie as he is with guns. After drama, they go off together and do this Bonnie and Clyde deal across the country.

I know of Gun Crazy as a top Film-Noir. Even read about it in a book, but that was a couple years ago. After seeing the movie, I needed to re-read that chapter to remember why I was supposed to like it so much. Unscripted and improvised scenes influenced the French New Wave, ok I see that. Very low budget, didn’t realize that. Written by Dalton Trumbo, interesting. Crackling sexuality between the leads, hmmmmm, ok.

Gun Crazy makes a strong parallel between sex and guns, and Peggy Cummins sizzles on screen. Bart, though, is damp toast. He is never fully on board with the whole criminal outlaw lifestyle and only goes along so he can buy Laurie nice things. She’s the femme fatal leading our dufus good boy astray. I didn’t connect with John Dall in Rope and I didn’t connect with him here. Also, I don’t buy that either lead were familiar with firearms. The actors handle them as if they had fifteen minutes of rehearsal. I admit I also know nothing about guns, but I can tell when something is the extension of one’s being or a toy in the hand.

Our heroes’ motivation is straightforward. Guns, money, and each other. And sadly, the chemistry is lacking. Don’t get me wrong. It did like Gun Crazy. I just failed to see what made it exceptional. There was something slightly bland about the story and dialog. I had high expectations, and once again, they landed soft. AMRU 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment