Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Danger Signal (1945)

A charming scoundrel charms women, kills them, then steals their money. Now he charms the charming Hilde, then charms her charming little sister because she has money coming. Whatever shall they do?

Danger Signal is, I guess, a lesser film-noir. That is to say, it checks enough noir boxes to fit the category. Still, it lacks the attitude and atmosphere I come to expect. Think Hitchcock’s Shadow of a Doubt. But unlike Doubt, there are no big names attached to this project. Just studio contract players.

Faye Emerson plays the pretty but not too pretty Hilde, who succumbs to Ronnie’s charms, and Mona Freeman is her adorable little sister. Also here is Richard Erdman who went on to a much longer film and TV career, and is best remembered as that guy who reviews snack foods on youtube.

I’ve heard it say that Danger Signal would be better known had it’s cast some star power, but I’m not convinced. I’ve loved films with no stars or even budget and left cold by films with an impressive marquee. Looking at you, Honeymoon! I wonder if casting stars makes everyone believe in the picture and thus try a bit harder. I don’t know. Danger Signal had some good ideas and solid performances, but the script and story were just blah. Plus the ending was terrible. AMRU 2.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment