Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Virgin Spring (1960)

A farming couple sends their young, spoiled daughter to church to deliver candles. Along for the ride is their pregnant and wayward servant girl. Things don’t go well.

Based on a Swedish folk ballad and inspired by Kurosawa’s Rashomon, director Ingmar Bergman was disappointed with the result. The Rashomon link is how everyone involved evaluates their role in the tragedy and how the events unfold. Yes, I’m being intentionally vague.

I find Bergman films more accessible than his reputation. The events here are pretty straight forward, simple really. The viewer is left to consider everyone’s response and maybe what the end means. Most synopses will detail more of the story but I’d rather not reveal too much. And I suppose I agree with Bergman to a point because I find it to be the least interesting of his films I’ve seen so far. But it is still an interesting and visually attractive film, and Birgitta Pettersson is adorable. I hope your day goes better. AMRU 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment